When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When life gives you persimmons it’s not that easy.
Our backyard tree has reached full size and we have a wicked huge pile of persimmons sitting on the kitchen counter. You know it’s a problem when I slip back into my New England accent.
Here are a few of my favorite recipes. Enjoy!
- Grilled Pork with Persimmon Relish and Celery Root Puree – yum!
- Farro and Black Rice Salad with Persimmon and Pomegranate – a new favorite in my house
- Persimmon Cranberry Sauce – can be made ahead and stored until Thanksgiving
- Persimmon Pomegranate Upside Down Cake – I suggest making this when company visits, otherwise you’ll want to eat the entire cake yourself!
- Warm Persimmon Compote – yummy with ice cream or over waffles
- Persimmon Ice Cream – tastes great and the color is amazing
- Persimmon Caramel Sauce with Bourbon – a good way to use those overly ripe and mushy persimmons
- Persimmon Syrup – the base flavoring for my cocktails
- Persimmon Spritzer – for the kiddies
- Persimmon Bourbon Cooler – a lighter alternative
- Persimmon Bellini – bubbly and tart
- Nihombashi Cocktail – aka Persimmon Manhattan – strong enough for “those” family gatherings – you know what I mean
Do you have a great persimmon recipe? I’d love to hear about it. Please.. we’re desperate!
This is the second half our 2013 harvest. We picked over 300 persimmon from a single tree. I’ve become a pro at peeling and chopping.